Dust and dirt are the two most common reasons why the air conditioning system works inefficiently or clean your AC unit outside and develops repair issues. Sometimes, these repair issues are the cause of an expensive bill that messes up the household’s monthly budget.
According to the AC repair in Yaphank, keeping the AC system clean and maintained can reduce the chances of repair issues by 50%. Are you wondering and looking for DIY tips to maintain the AC system? Arctic Air experts have your back in solving any HVAC related issues.
Easy tips for maintaining the air conditioning system.
Here is a list of some simple DIY tips designed by the experts in AC maintenance in Yaphank to keep your air conditioning system in fit and running condition:
- Replace the air filter at the beginning of the season. If you have a heat pump, then it is advised to replace the air filter every three months.
- Clean the condensers fins with a brush and straighten the bent coils with a fin comb brush.
- Take a scrubber and dishwashing soap to clean the condenser coils.
- Check the drainage unit’s pipes and clean them with a long metal brush for blockage signs. After cleaning, pour a spoonful of baking soda and a cup of vinegar to avoid blockage issues in the future.
- Clean the outdoor AC unit and remove all the foliage and external debris.
Expert AC technician's guide to cleaning the outdoor AC unit.
Here is the lists of materials that you will needs to clean the outdoor unit:
- Air conditioner coil cleaner
- Soft brush vacuum cleaner
- Water hose with a sprayer
- Work clothes and gloves
According to the AC repair in Yaphank, here are the steps to gently clean the outdoor unit:
- Switch off the AC system from the thermostat and turn off all the power switches of the air conditioning system.
- Find the AC system’s electrical disconnect box that is found on the exterior walls of the house. Flip the switch down and move on to the next step.
- Open the outdoor unit and pick up all the external debris pieces inside the AC unit.
- Use a vacuum cleaner or a soft-bristle brush to clean the condenser fins. The fins are delicate and get bent quickly if you harshly clean them.
- Spray the coil cleaning agent on the condenser coils and wait 10-15 minutes for the foam to form. It is essentials to notes that you should purchase the cleaning agent as recommended in the instructions manual.
- Rinse the foam and air conditioning unit with the water hose spray. Remove all the dirt and loose debris around the AC unit and throw them away.
When should you clean the outdoor AC unit?
As per the technician in AC maintenance in Yaphank, household owners should perform cleaning and maintenance services on the outdoor unit at the beginning and end of the summer.
At the beginning of the season, the maintenance service will enhance the performance of the AC system and prevent all the issues that degrade the cooling process.
Most air conditioning systems struggle to start after a long slumber in the winter. You should call for AC maintenance at the end of the summer season. It will ensure that the AC system remains in good condition throughout the winter.